Serbia, Our Weirdest Stop Yet

We have about 4 days left in Serbia so this will probably be my only post from here.  Who would've guessed this place would keep me so busy?  Belgrade is a pretty awesome off the grid city which has been a nice change from all the tourist destinations we've had thus far.  It was the first time we got dropped in a city and didn't have to worry about fitting in all of the sights and museums in one month.  At least to me, we got here, moved in and just lived.

The food is shockingly good, it's the cheapest city we've been to by far, and aside from the fact that we're now in the Cyrillic alphabet and I can't tell anyone where I live - it's a clean and cool place to be.  Kind of has a 90's grungey feel that I really dig.  Also - the fashion is still in the 90's and makes for some serious people watching.  Jorts anyone?  At risk of actually saving some money in this cheap city, I made the last minute decision to hop to Montenegro for a long weekend and get away from everyone for a few days. I also had my brother's 2nd visit which always takes a few days to recover from.

Below are some of the pictures from the last few weeks.  On the line-up for this week: BBQ, escape room, going away party, and traveling to Croatia where I'll meet up with my parents for a week!

Sunset over the Sava river.  About one mile to the right is where the
Sava & Danube rivers connect.  Those boats across the river from our dinner
are all nightclubs that rage every night of the week.

This was where I spent a good chunk of my time in Montenegro, another small
Balkan country on the coastline.

Montenegro is BEAUTIFUL.  I've been told it looks a lot like Split, Croatia
which is where I head next weekend.  It's still off the grid as far as tourism
goes which makes for a nice relaxing weekend away. 

I took a little cruise around the coast and stopped in a few port towns.  This
Church called "Lady of the Rocks" is built in the middle of the water on
a man-made island made of rocks and sunken enemy ships.

This is part of the Belgrade fortress built by the Romans a LONG time ago.
It's right on the merger of the Sava and Danube rivers.  Most countries would
go way out of their way to protect something like this but being that Serbia
is super weird - they have a basketball court inside and a nightclub.
Ball is life. 

This is the view of the fort from the other side of the Sava.  A few of us spent
the afternoon at this club/pool called Hot Mess to wait out the heat. 

We also attended Belgrade Beer fest which is the largest in South East
Europe. Whatever that means. Spoiler alert family : Todd has a girlfriend
(pictured above). 

Better than beer fest was our discovery that there was an amusement
park just behind the vendors.  Cue drunken rainbow ride selfie. 

This past weekend we headed to the South of Serbia to explore this working
monastery (which is actually a convent so, as always I'm confused by
religion).

The tour also felt this massive waterfall was worth a stop.
Impressive.

The highlight of the trip was this massive cave we explored at the end
of the day.  The pictures don't do it justice and I can't say much about it
because our guide only knew the words stalagmite and stalagtite. 

Finally we had a little Sunday Funday at the local man-made lake
called Lake Ada.  Played some catch, had beers, and just laid out around
the water.





Comments