The Weekend I Truly Became Nomad Rabs

Because living around the world for a year isn't vacation enough, we decided to take our 3rd weekend getaway to Cabo Polonio in Rocha, Uruguay. We lived completely off the grid for the weekend in a sand dune village with no water, electricity, and limited cell phone service. This was hands down the best weekend of my life. Our airbnb was located just outside the "town" which was a pretty hysterical adventure for me as I took the late bus and was the only one left to get out there.  For the first time in my entire life I under-packed clothes but I balanced it by over-packing wine so it wasn't a light walk. 

This is me, wine jugs and Doritos in hand making my way to our dune-house. 

The walk was well worth it because I walked into this beautiful place, where my friends had already arrived, ordered pizza and uncorked the wine.  





























Let me just back up for one second, when I say I arrived and then had to walk through the dunes...I mean I took a 4 hour bus and then a 30 minute dune-buggy ride across a beach to get here.  Talk about Ridin Dirty..


Earlier I mentioned "town", this is basically a collection of adorable little houses, hostels, colorful signs, and bon fire pits.  It's also home to some of the best food we've found in Uruguay (once we said sine jamon on the fish sandwich that is). 






















Just past "town" is the lighthouse.  From what I've researched a la Google, this is where the history of Cabo Polonio starts with multiple ships being wrecked here.  Uruguay had to build a light house and with the light house grew the beautiful village that's still there today.

























The view from the top of the light house.  I was completely blown away, by both the view and the insane wind that was up there.  On our way back in to town one of the local ponies walked us back in. There were tons of wild dogs, cats, roosters, ducks, you name it.  The only bad part was the frogs that liked to inhabit our bathroom at night. So yes, for those of you who are aware of my complete phobia that means I did not use the bathroom all weekend.  So this weekend I was kind of a nomad, kind of a baby.
















Photo cred to my fellow traveler Laura for this pic.  Clearly I can't avoid the paparazzi even in a small hippie beach town.

The rest of the weekend was spent with wine, hammocks, swims, bon fires and some of the most breathtaking sunsets I've ever seen.

























This is me lounging in our sand dune hammocks, the most relaxing place on earth.
Finally, some of our crew taking in the sunset.  Wine in hand, cause when it costs $2 who am I to say no? 


This is our last week in Montevideo, crazy to think it's already been a month but I am ready for Argentina! 

Comments

  1. yeah so i'll take one of those seashell wind chimes THANK YOU <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH and the pony, gimme that thing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment