Machu Picchu and Other Notable Ruins

It's been awhile since I've posted but Peru's been keeping me very busy!  The food here is unbelievable - a top culinary destination of the world believe it or not.  I've also been off the grid the last two weekends seeing some famous ruins, and participating in an ancient Shaman healing ritual in the mountains.  Some photos and explanations are below!

The first full weekend here we went to the Sacsayhuaman (pronounced like sexy-woman) Ruins just outside of Cusco.  The views of city were stunning, and totally worth the park entrance fee! 



First stop was Christo-Blanco aka White Jesus, we really only stopped here because he was on the way. 


Next we climbed through some of the tunnels in the ruins where we learned just how tiny this civilization was!  Correction from my instagram post, people of the Andes in ancient times and today are NOT Incans, they are Quechuan.  The Incans were the king and his family, which could include a few hundred wives scattered throughout the countryside. 


What would a weekend adventure without a llama/alpaca be? 




 I wasn't lying when I said the views were stunning! But even better...

This past weekend I did a 3 day Inca trail hike up to Machu Picchu.  It was one of the hardest thing's I've done, and not because of the cold, the altitude, or the 22 miles uphill....because we camped the whole time and had ONE poop-tent for 25 people.  Luckily I had some immodium left from an incident in La Paz so I didn't have to address that all weekend.


 We started the day at some outdoor natural hot springs to get our muscles warmed up.  I think this was the last time I was warm for 3 full days.

We passed through a few villages where the kids would run out to the trail knowing the hikers had gifts for them.  They all wear sandals year round and traditional clothing.  They also ran circles around us while we huffed and puffed in our multiple-layers. The families in this region live completely off their land.  Some of them hike up to 10 miles to get to school and live with host families during the week and return to work on their family land on the weekends.  Things like colored pencils, marbles, and toys only come through the town via hikers who stop at markets before the trails so when they see you they move fast.  They also know how to hussle you for a few extra colors and the sharpener at the bottom. 








This little girl couldn't have been more than 7 or 8 and she was carrying her little brother in the traditional baby carrier of South America.  I can barely hold a baby with 2 arms but she had it down pat.  The next photo is a Mom and her daughter, we gave out coca leaves to the adults.  Coca leaves are legal in Bolivia and Peru but nowhere else in South America as - you guessed it - they are the base for cocaine.  However, in the leaf form they're essentially a super food. They give you energy, calm your stomach, and help us gringos with symptoms of altitude sickness.












How do you get a llama/alpaca pack to all look the same way?  Fly a drone.  Hopefully I'll have some footage from my friends drone shortly but in the mean time - this hysterical picture shows how scared all of the animals were of our drone. 

Finally, the end of day one.  We hike 10 miles through villages and up a mountain to get to our first campsite and the view did not disappoint. 

It looked even better at 5am when we had breakfast on day 2.  

After about 2 hours straight uphill at 5am, we made it to the top!  This is me and my friend Emily, bundled up but happy to have a slight break to go downhill.



























And last but not least, we finally made it to Machu Picchu.  One of the most beautiful places I've ever been.  The architecture and sophistication they had for growing food, preventing landslides, predicting changes in weather and astronomy were incredible.  It was hard to take in all at once, luckily I'll be going back in 2 weeks when my best friend comes to visit!  PS. can you tell I'm obsessed with llamas?! I'm not sure how I'll move to Europe next month and not see them literally on every street corner.




Comments

  1. OMG I CAN'T WAIT TO VISIT! I just realized, today is officially ONE WEEK until we are nuzzled in each other's bosoms (sp?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salkantay trek is the alternative to the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu was recently named among the 25 best Treks in the World, by National Geographic Adventure Travel Magazine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment