Livin That Tuk Tuk Life

I've been in Cambodia for a little over a week now and I'm pleased and surprised to say I really like it.  They've got some things figured out - and some things not.  The city is full of ex-pats and was formerly colonized by the French which leads to great food, networking and bar options.  Some Australian (leave it to them to create the bars) bought out a whole block and turned it into themed "micro-bars."  They each only hold about 15 people but there's a speakeasy, a western bar, a sake bar, you name it. It's perfect for a bar crawl because you don't have to have transportation between.

Everything is insanely cheap (yet I'm still blowing through money) and we get to ride around in TukTuks.  Seriously - it's the only mode of transportation. They also have night buses that are incredible.  Full lay down bunk beds with pillows, blankets and mattresses -y ou fall asleep on the bus you wake up 6 hours later and it's like the ride never happened.

We took said bus up north to the town of Siem Reap which is the home to Angkor Wat, a UNESCO World Heritage site.  I had no idea the town would be as bustling as it was - I thought we'd tour the temples find street food and call it a day.  Boy was I wrong.

We got up at 7:30am to tour the temples Saturday and Sunday and didn't finish until around 4pm.  We didn't even scratch the surface on seeing everything in the area.  The temples were built in the 12th century and are a combination of Buddhist and Hindu temples depending on who the King was at the time.  They were in different states of ruin but all beautiful - especially the temple from Tomb Raider which had massive tree roots growing out of it.

You'd think we'd be wiped after the long days of walking up way too many stairs...but it's Remote Year so we rallied.  We started out hitting up the night market - which I've discovered is a dangerous place for me.  I regret to inform my NYC friends that I've turned into the "dirty travel hippie" they worried about - I now own two pairs of pants with capes, Aladdin pants, and a collection of crop tops that cost $1.  I also purchased a bunch of coconut bowls.  For the apartment I don't have.  After shopping we hit up Pub Street which is exactly what it sounds like.  When beers are $.50 a draft, you can't really say no.  Plus we earned it after packing that much culture in!

All in all - I'm really diggin Cambodia so far which is a surprise because I've been plucked off of a beach for the first time in three months and plopped into a very busy city.  It's a little strange seeing Santa hats on Buddha statues, Christmas lights in 85 degrees and trees only made out of tinsel but we're all attempting to get in the holiday spirits.

These are some of the houses just outside of Phnom Penh.
They're built high above ground because it's very swampy
and the land here floods easily.

The night market - where I purchased ridiculous pants and
things for an apartment I don't have. I promise I will take
up no more storage space Mom & Dad. 


Day One at the temples : A Monk attempting to do what many religious figures
have before - bless me.  We received little bracelets, a prayer and a lot of water
in the face.

Hanging out in Angkor Wat, the largest of the temples. 

Another beautiful temple we passed by.

This tree root is growing in the middle of the Tomb Raider
temple. 

Temple #4 day one - I should've taken notes because
I cannot remember what it's called for the life of me.

Strolling the paths between temples.  

Have I mentioned that I love monkeys? I think it's because
they're little assholes who steal snacks from people just
like me. This little guy snatched a woman's smoothie
right from her hands - where he succeeded in thievery
he failed in consumption. 

This little lady and I bonded over a love for Ranch Flavored Pringles - which is
what she has in her right hand if you look closely.
Our tour group at the Smiling Buddha temple.  If you look closely every pillar
has a big smiling Buddha.


Sunday before taking our night bus home, we hopped on a little boat to
discover one of the floating villages outside of Siem Reap. These are tiny little
fishing villages that were started by the Vietnamese during an invasion (fact
not checked, just provided by our tour guide).  Their houses float on bamboo
and are moved several times a year depending on the rainy season. While
it was a really cool thing to see - it was easily the most impoverished village
I've been to all year which is hard to take in.
One of the little villagers taking a nap. He
was "big boned" as our tour guide said but
just the cutest fattest little nugget.  I can
see why Angelina Jolie keeps adopting kids
from here.




Comments