From Bonjour to Buon Giorno

We are officially at the halfway point of Remote Year wrapping up our sixth month in Prague.  For the most part I keep thinking I'll wake up and this was all a dream.  BUT it has been a LONG six months.  We get to see the world, eat new foods, drink all the drinks, and experience more things in our one  year than most people do in a lifetime.  That being said, we DO live in a social experiment:  starting with seventy-five people coming from twenty-two countries, already visiting two continents and six homes.  It can be exhausting, overwhelming, and emotional.  I'll write more on that at  some point BUT for now the good stuff - for my six month mark I decided to treat myself to two side trips.  I went to visit my college roommate in Paris and then took a little getaway to Italy.  OK so it wasn't for 6 months that I booked them but I think it humors my parents to justify my spending.



We spent the whole day strolling around Paris and scoping out views like this.  

We also stopped by the Louvre to see this babe, and got a great tour of the museum a la my college roomie who's studying Art History at the Sorbonne!




Tourist photo at the Louvre...kind of had to... 


Stopped by the Saint Chappelle for a Baroque concert (aren't you proud Uncle Dick?!) at sunset which was beautiful.  My iPhone was not capable of capturing how dope the sun coming in these stained glass windows was. 













We spent all day in Versailles which is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.  Marie Antoinette knew how to get shit done.  We were so hooked we stayed through an 11pm fireworks show coordinated to classical music. 







Me and my college roomie waiting for the fireworks! 




Obviously had to stop by the Eiffel Tower, which was extra cool because the Tour de France was passing through the same day. 

























Finally we stopped by L'Aduree for macaroons. Easily the most expensive macaroons I've ever eaten but also worth the price.  Note: we did to to Notre Dame but I forgot to take pics (sorry Mom).

On to Italy...where dreams are born and waistlines die.

























We spent our first night in Florence taking in the sunset at Pizza Michelangelo and eating a a real authentic Italian meal home cooked by a woman named Gilda.  She spoke no English but did invite herself to a glass of wine and "chat" at our table anyways.  This was me on the Ponte Vecchio bridge where I'd like to think I'll own a vacation loft some day.

























Our B&B was just around the corner from the Church of Santa Croce which was beautiful but unfortunately closed for the night (I've had a few too many churches this year anyways).



After a night in Florence, we took the bus up to a very secluded part of Sienna where we had a little villa overlooking the vineyards to ourselves.  It was hard to pry me away from the pool but one of the only other buildings on our little hill was this adorable restaurant that was Michelin rated and worth the cleanse I'm not putting myself through.

























It was hard to wait for the delicious meals until 9pm but we couldn't miss out on sunsets like this just for some pasta.



After two days of pools, wine, and too many carbs, we headed to Chianti for the night.  Our inn was probably the cutest place I've ever been and had this for a view.  No complaints here. 



They also greeted us immediately with a tasting of their wines which was an excellent start to the day.  I think they were worried about us losing our buzz because they drove us into town, dropped us at their favorite winery, and like any good Italian informed us we needed to be home for dinner. 
















This was where we had a delicious home-cooked dinner, our backyard overlooking vineyards.


























Finally we popped through Rome for 1.5 days to do a little sight seeing and catch our flight to meet up with the group in Serbia.  Turns out not many airports fly direct there.
























And since this post is already all over Europe, I'll wrap up with peace and love from the John Lennon wall in Prague.  I almost didn't leave Italy but I'm at risk of not fitting any of my clothes so it's time to go.  Next stop:  Belgrade, Serbia!  This post was already pretty long so if you want more pics head over to instagram @rabsontheroad. 

Comments