South America: We Came, We Saw, We Conquered

Hard to believe that it's already been 4 full months since I took a 5am flight out of JFK and shipped off to Montevideo, Uruguay.  Even harder to believe is that this crazy year is 1/3 over as of this week.  South America was an incredible way to start our journey. The energy, the people, the beaches, you name it we conquered it.  While I absolutely loved it, and will undoubtedly be back to visit everywhere I didn't get to this time - I'm really looking forward to some comforts of living that Europe will provide. 

FIRST THOUGH.....a huge THANK YOU to everyone who donated to our kindergarten in Peru.  We raised over $2,500 and filled an entire van with food that will feed them for over a year, repairs to their kitchen, and endless supplies of purell (they don't have hot water so kids weren't washing their hands).  We haven't come close to spending the full amount but left the remaining money with our local contact who will ensure the food and repairs keep coming.  



















This is my friend Carmel, the mastermind behind this operation with some of the kids. 

























We also did some charity work that was a little more my speed - dogs.  We spent a day volunteering at a local shelter where we heard horror stories about what people do to dogs in Peru and how one amazing woman is on a mission to rescue them all.  We helped pay their rent, buy dog food, and cuddled these little nuggets who had no idea that at a solid 60+ pounds they were not meant to be lap dogs. 



















Had a visit from my best bud Jess and went back to Machu Picchu. Instead of a 3 day hike we oped for a 3 day train this time which was really the way to go.  Also got photobombed by a llama, best picture I have from South America.


In an attempt to get my llama fix in, we stopped by to feed some more. Turns out you can never get enough llama/alpaca and I miss them already. 

Finally - the South America going away party.  We were on top of a mountain in a beautiful old mansion doing what we do best - dancing and drinking.  I'm sad to see South America go for now, but really looking forward to eating / drinking without worrying about the aftermath.  For now - off to Lisbon where I plan on working on my tan and eating as much seafood as possible. 




Comments

Post a Comment